A Roman-era mosaic, estimated to date back to the 2nd century, has been unearthed in Turkey’s Central Anatolian province of Kırıkkale’s Delice district.
The excavation field appeared last year after rainfall in a wheat field in the village of Elmalı and the 48-centimeter mosaic was discovered there.
Image: THE 3,400 YEAR OLD FIGURINE COPYRIGHT: CLARA AMIT, COURTESY OF THE ISRAEL ANTIQUITIES AUTHORITY
The artwork on the tiny fragile pendant, uncovered by a research team from the Universities of York, Manchester and Chester, is the earliest known Mesolithic art in Britain. Crafted from a single piece of shale, the subtriangular three-millimetre thick artefact measuring 31mm by 35mm contains a series of lines which archaeologists believe may represent a tree, a map, a leaf or even tally marks.
Image: THE STAR CARR PENDANT, CREDIT: HARRY ROBSON
Three-thousand-year-old fingerprints have been found on the lid of an Egyptian coffin by researchers.
The prints are most likely to have belonged to craftsmen handling it before the varnish dried, according to the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge.
82 & Fifth from The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York is a website and app created in 2013 that has 100 items from the Met’s collection discussed by 100 curators. This encompasses a variety of artworks across the Museum’s collection, some of which are Egyptian, including:
- Statue of two men and a boy that served as a domestic icon, New Kingdom, Amarna Period, Dynasty 18, reign of Akhenaten, ca. 1353–1336 B.C.
- Statue of an Offering Bearer, ca. 1981–1975 B.C., early reign of Amenemhat I, Dynasty 12, Middle Kingdom Egypt, Upper Egypt; Thebes, Southern Asasif, Tomb of Meketre (TT 280, MMA 1101), serdab, MMA 1920
- Canopic Jar with a Lid in the Shape of a Royal Woman’s Head, ca. 1352–1336 B.C., reign of Akhenaten, Dynasty 18, New Kingdom, Amarna Period
- Head of Tutankhamun, New Kingdom, Amarna Period; Dynasty 18; Reign of Tutankhamun; ca. 1336–1327 B.C.
- Hippopotamus, Middle Kingdom, first half of Dynasty 12, ca. 1961–1878 B.C.
- Pectoral and Necklace of Sithathoryunet with the Name of Senwosret II, Middle Kingdom, Dynasty 12, reign of Senwosret II, ca. 1887–1878 B.C. Egypt, Fayum Entrance Area, el-Lahun (Illahun, Kahun; Ptolemais Hormos), Tomb of Sithathoryunet (BSA Tomb 8), EES 1914
The three volumes of Davies and Gardiner: Ancient Egyptian Paintings, have now been made available online, more information from AWOL.